Friday, March 29, 2013

Epic Viajante

For those who've browsed Ravelry patterns recently, you may have noticed that Martina Behm's Viajante Shawl has featured quite heavily. I had the opportunity to knit this shawl recently as a Will-Work-for-Yarn job for the lovely jenigma. Jenigma provided the yarn which was Wollmeise Lacegarn in the colourway "Verhext und verratzt". It's a beautiful colour. I love purples. Link to the Ravelry project page. It came out like this:



As you can see, it's a pretty huge shawl. I used up almost the entire 300g skein with only 3.5g leftover. It took about a month of speedy knitting to finish. My knitting friend, Lorna, describes this shawl as a giant sleeve! My payment yarn was Wollmeise lacegarn in Schwarz (i.e. black).



I am planning to use this as a highlight for a Veera Välimäki's Plain and Simple Pullover with another skein of Wollmeise Lacegarn in a Nobody's Perfect skein of Poison Nr 5. I bought this skein while on holiday in Germany, at the Wollmeise shop!


2 comments:

  1. Stunning shawl. I am in love with this colorway. Looking at the pattern, I am having difficulty believing anyone can get the recommended gauge on lace weight yarn using a size US4 needle. I have swatched and the best I can do is size 8 needle. What size did you use? It seems impossible to get 5.5 stitches per inch on such small needles. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get the recommended gauge either. I went up one needle size. I assumed the gauge was for something severely blocked. In the end I didn't block it harshly at all since it was already big. If the finished triangle (before you join in the round) fits over your head comfortably, that is enough for the purpose of this part of the shawl.

    ReplyDelete