Thursday, June 21, 2012

Purple Handspun

So recently, I learnt how to spin and the lovely Adriana (Kaaktus on Ravelry) gave me her old spinning wheel. It is a vintage Ashford Traditional and isn't branded since supposedly it was made before Ashford started branding. The next related exciting thing is, I went to the Sutherland Spinners and Weavers Guild's Winter Wool Festival. That was quite impressive to say the least. The quality of items for sale and showcased works were fantastic. I visited Glenora Weaving's stand and bought some First Edition Fibre. I've always been meaning to try some of this. I got a purplish silk-merino blend. The colourway is actually made up of strips of purple-blue, dark pink-red and white. It spun up beautifully! I love it.


The picture is only of 70g. I had a total of 250g so I still have heaps to spin up. I spun this worsted as a 2ply. It's about 13-14wpi which makes it approximately a fingering-sport weight yarn (i.e. 4-5ply). I haven't yet washed it so it might bloom after washing.

The photo was also taken from my new camera which I absolutely LOVE. It's the Canon Powershot S100. I highly recommend this camera to anyone who wants decent photos. It's amazing the quality of the photos from a point and shoot compact camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment